Friday 7 September 2018

Inkle Sheep

After all that hard thinking about shaft mapping and the like for my Krokbragd posts, I was really feeling the need for something a bit easier on the grey matter. And here it is:- card woven sheep.

Idly searching for who knows what I came across this blog post at Hilltop Cloud.

I knew I just had to weave some of those cute little creatures. So I did.

They are so adorable with their little black hooves and chubby little bodies. Weaving them was a joy as it is a simple four forwards, four backwards repeating pattern. The only twisting to worry about was at the edges for the border.

Setting up the loom was less of a joy.

Much as I enjoy tablet weaving, setting up the warp is a real pain in the backside. I've not yet managed to find a warping technique that didn't result in a couple of big knots and a length of whatever was to hand tying them together. As you can see, not pretty and hard to tension. Arghhhhhh! Oh and that's the improved version, after I added the carabiners.

Then, I received a new book. "Tablets at Work" by Claudia Wollny. It is awesome! Seven hundred or so pages of detailed instructions. A proper text book for card weavers. Claudia describes in detail a warping technique that I'd seen before and dismissed as looking a bit complicated. She makes it sound much easier. So in the near future, I'm going to give it a go and hopefully it will be "Bye, bye, big ugly knots holding my band together."

If you're interested in weaving some sheep, here is the card set up. I don't think I'm infringing anyone's copyright as I've seen the pattern all over the place since I saw it on Hilltop Cloud. But if you copy it, why not give Katie and Hilltop Cloud the credit.

Happy weaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment