Monday 29 March 2021

Busy, busy

It's been a very busy week here at KiniB. So just a quick hello today.

The image is a Sami band (a narrow band based on the traditional weaving patterns of the Sami people of northern Scandanavia). The bands would traditionally be woven in wool so would have a denser weave than the Orlec thread I used, but as test pieces go, I'm pleased with it.

The traditional bands would be used for many things, such as wrapping the bottoms of trousers tightly to the wearer's boots - to keep the snow and cold air out. I'm not sure what this band will become, but I think it would make a fantastic light (or bell) pull, so I've plaited the ends to keep it neat while I decide what to do with it.

The pattern is a pick up type weave made using a Sunna heddle with my 10" Ashford loom. The pattern is from "Weaving Sami Bands" by Susan J Foulkes. Catch her blog at Durham Weaver.

I really love the weaving patterns of the Nordic countries. What are your favourite weaving inspirations? Leave a comment and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment