Sunday 4 April 2021

It's written in the stars above

It's all go in the craft cave. Lots of sewing to be done this week as I've more than a few birthdays coming up.

I've been trying out a new pattern from Sew Sweetness - the Persimmon Dumpling Pouch. I've seen several of the pouches on a "sewing your hand woven fabric" group and thought the shape was very pleasing.

I didn't want to start cutting into my handwoven fabric before doing a trial run so when I started reading about the pattern I was delighted to see it was actually designed to be a scrap buster - to be made from off cuts and oddments. I've become increasingly eager to use up every scrap of fabric so scrap buster ideas are my new "go to" patterns.

When I got out my box of fabric scraps there on top was a bag of odd shaped bits of felt which I'd zigzagged into fabric. There was just enough of the patchwork to make the smallest size of the pouch. I had some purple cotton left over from a recent quilt which felt like the right colour for the lining. No purple zips as I buy them by the metre in neutral colours but a mid-toned grey looked good with the purple so in less than five minutes I had all my materials' choices made and I was ready to start on my least favourite part of the process - cutting out.

While I was cutting out the pattern I started thinking about what other projects I need to get underway and my mind turned to the number of upcoming birthdays in my diary.

I don't generally believe in horoscopes. I mean - what are the chances that everyone born under a particular star sign is going to have the same kind of day, or that they're going to be compatible with someone born under some particular other star sign? But when I thought of the list of upcoming birthdays I began to wonder if maybe I'm wrong.

I clearly have some kind of affiliation with those born under the sign of Aries? After December (ie. Christmas) April is the month when I send out the most cards and gifts. I don't know what it is about those Aries people but we do seem to make lasting connections. So I need to get off the computer and back to the craft cave. Those cards and presents aren't making themselves.

Having tried out the Persimmon Dumpling Pouch and enjoyed the process I can definitely see some of those in my friends' futures.

Do you have a particular month bursting with birthdays? What are your "go to" gift pattens for the special people in your life. Why not add a link to your favourite in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment